I always thought those big pieces of steel that come in your knife block were for sharpening... well that is almost true. Your knife at the very edge is a bunch of fragmented edges that bend either way. When someone pulls that piece of steel out and looks all professional, all they are doing are lining those edges up to be straight. While that refines how the blade is, it is really not doing a true sharpening of the blade. You will see a difference after using that steel, but if your knives are dull, it doesn't make much difference.
Here is where I come in- I have a good kit to use to sharpen your knives. It doesn't take much time, and has some safety features built in. A Colorado company Spyderco sells this great kit. You don't need oils, it doesn't take long to do one knife. I received this as a gift a couple years ago for Xmas. It's a great set. It comes with a DVD to show you how to do it. You will love having a sharp set of knives, and it is pretty easy.
Happy New Year, everyone!
-edit-
I just went to the web site and realized I wasn't being specific enough. Spyderco is a great company to buy knives, and as such, they have more than one sharpening option. I was referring to http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=77 the " sharpening triangle". It has two different sharpening stones, you turn them to get the refining you need, and you can pick if you want 30 degrees or 40. (I think those were the choices) Anyway, email me if you have questions.
-edit part two-
I got a new knife in my collection for Xmas- it's pretty nice. It's ceramic, I don't know if it will ever need to be sharpened- it'll hold it's edge for a long time. Check it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment