Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Szeshuan Chicken in Lettuce Bundles

I had better do a healthy dish we like because one of the cookbooks I got for Xmas is Seduced by Bacon- you will think I only do really unhealthy cooking once I start posting those up. I also got an Alton Brown book (my favorite Food TV host) and another book that is full of food definitions- all the french words etc etc that you probably learn in culinary school. Currently my favorite is amuse-bouche. I don't know how I got that one stuck in my head, but it's quite fun to say.

This recipe comes from Healthy Cooking for Two (or just you). It lays out recipes in 1 and 2 servings. We like this lettuce wrap recipe, we have done it a couple of times. The book says one serving is 161 calories. I will write up the 2 serving version.

1 tablespoon oil- for this I would use peanut
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in 1" strips
1/2 medium red or green pepper. I like red better- the sweetness counters the pepper flakes in the recipe. I also just added the whole pepper, not half. Cut them into the dice size you'd prefer.
1 cup celery cut in 1/3 inch slices
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice or distilled white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I put some more in)
2 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts (I would go with non-dry roasted... and I'd chop them up)
2 green onions, thinly chopped
4 iceburg lettuce leaves

If you have a wok, I'd use it- otherwise a large nonstick skillet. Put it on high heat, add the oil and cover the pan. Get it hot. (don't get the oil smoking- too hot!) Add the chicken, peppers, celery and ginger. Cook and stir until the chicken starts getting opaque.

Stir in the garlic and sugar. (I would actually just put the garlic in with the oil as I was heating the pan) Add the soy sauce, vinegar and pepper flakes and continue to cook until the chicken is done.

Stir in the peanuts and green onions and remove from heat.

Put servings on plates, and put the lettuce next to it. You eat them just like lettuce tacos.

PF Chang's has a lettuce wrap appetizer that is good- I think this is a little more flavorful.

No comments:

Post a Comment