I was never a big fan of the avocado until I finally got around to loving guacamole. There are a list of these things- sour cream, cream cheese, corn chips, flour tortillas, etc etc. As it turns out, I might have been better off if I was still a picky eater- at least my waist line might benefit.
All of that aside, avocado is the one of the things you need to buy 2-3 days before you use it. The ones that you get in the store are usually hard as a rock. If you are hard pressed, the blacker the skin, the more ripe. If you pick it up in the store and you can feel that is a little tender, first- that is unusual, but second... it's ripe and ready to go.
My family has elevated guacamole into an art form- so it's not like I have some new chops here. That goes for my roommate in college as well- his is SO good.
If I was pressed for a quick and easy recipe, I'd say this:
2-3 avocados that are ripe
1 onion chopped
1-2 tomato chopped
1-2 jalapenos chopped fine (here I recommend playing around- you can add any kind of pepper you like for the flavor/heat you want- an Anaheim pepper would spin a great flavor in with your jalapeno)
1-2 Tbs of sour cream
1 Tbs cilantro chopped fine and to taste. There are some people that hate this stuff like biting down on tin foil, so keep that in mind.
Salt to taste
Mash the avocado with a fork, and then mix the rest in. Add salt and pepper to taste- remember you can always add salt, hard to take it back out again. I always add a little more when it's my mom who is eating it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
PS, as with anything, a little lemon juice mixed in will keep your newly formed dip from turning brown as quickly as it sits on the table. This goes for all fruit you have on your picnic table.
ReplyDelete